About Medical Laboratory Science:
- As a medical laboratory scientist you’ll work behind-the-scenes, processing laboratory tests that doctors count on to correctly diagnose, monitor and treat patients, and practice preventative medicine. Where you’ll work: Hospitals, clinics, private laboratories, public health organizations, research and development departments of pharmaceutical companies.
- Tasks include identification of infectious agents such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites; analysis of blood to detect disorders such as leukemia, hemophilia and immunodeficiency; measuring the presence of antibodies in blood to indicate infection with agents like HIV, assuring the quality of blood for transfusions.
About the program:
- You will complete introductory courses at award-winning Florida Southern College, which is nationally recognized for hands-on learning.
- You will then transition to Lakeland Regional Health where you’ll gain experience by working in the Chemistry, Microbiology, Hematology, Urinalysis, Immunology, Coagulation, Immunohematology and Molecular Pathology labs.
- Upon completion of the program you will be eligible to sit for the national exam of the American Society for Clinical Pathology and have the knowledge and experience to enter a rewarding and thriving field, expected to grow 16% through the year 2024, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
About the lab at LRH
- 5 million lab tests performed in 1 year. 70% of a physician’s medical decisions are a direct result of laboratory test data. State of the art automated line, with customized equipment to meet the needs of our ED three-hour window.
- Lab services provided: Hematology, Chemistry, Immunology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, Microbiology, Molecular Pathology, Immunohematology, Surgical Pathology & Histology, Cytology and Flow Cytometry.
About Our Hospital
Founded in 1916 as Morrell Memorial Hospital, our 864-bed, comprehensive tertiary referral hospital operates a Level II Trauma Center, a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the nation’s busiest single-site Emergency Department.
Our Medical Center handles over 2,100 trauma visits annually and holds accreditations for its Comprehensive Stroke Center and Chest Pain Center. Three hybrid operating rooms and a catheterization lab offer patients the least invasive surgeries possible and enhanced safety.
Our hospital has received national recognition for our outstanding work, processes and technology. Our Emergency Department earned the 2014 Innovation of the Year from the Florida Hospital Association and the 2014 EmCare Genesis Cup Award. Lakeland Regional Health earned the 2017 Top Large Hospital in Florida for Leadership in Quality and Patient Safety from the Florida Hospital Association and was named a Most Wired hospital four times, twice earning Most Wired Advanced status, from the American Hospital Association’s Health Forum.
In 2015, the state-of-the-art, 32-bed Bannasch Institute for Advanced Rehabilitation Medicine opened on the Medical Center Campus to provide evidence-based, innovative inpatient therapeutic rehabilitation services designed to dramatically improve patient outcomes.
The single largest expansion project on the Medical Center Campus, the eight-story, state-of-the-art Carol Jenkins Barnett Pavilion for Women and Children, now serves the women and children of our community.
About Our Primary and Specialty Care
As a catalyst for community health, we are reaching beyond our hospital walls to promote wellness, education and discovery in new places and new ways. Our Lakeland Regional Health physicians, nurses, clinicians and team members are inspired and ready to help make positive, lasting improvements in the health of those we serve. With over 25 specialties and a robust team of Primary and Family Care practitioners, we are uniquely positioned to provide compassionate and expert care to those in our community.
Lakeland Regional Health is transforming healthcare and receiving national recognition for this important work. Our national honors and recognitions include Innovation of the Year in Patient Care from the Florida Hospital Association, Most Wired Advanced designations by the American Hospital Association, “A” Safety Ratings by the Leapfrog Group, Great Workplace Award from Gallup and America’s Best Mid-Size Employers from Forbes.